Job Category: Landscape Maintenance
Job Title: Lead Hand (maintenance)
Job type: Full time
Benefits: Dental, Extended health, Life, AD&D
Location: York Region
As the lead worker on site this position plans, directs, and coordinates all project-related activities and works with the Company Director as necessary to complete all assigned tasks on time. These duties include but not limited to grading, hardscaping, and job site layout. This position requires record keeping of the job progress, changes and any evolving needs of a construction site as well as collecting data and materials necessary to perform the tasks. Communicates openly and honestly, works diligently toward building and keeping a high level of quality on the job site while maintains a safe working environment.
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
- Wears provided clean company uniform and your PPE (Protective Personal Equipment) – lead by example.
- Enforces our policies, memorize, demonstrates, and follows the Policy and procedure of company Handbook.
- Demonstrates a positive attitude and working climate, with an emphasis on health and safety.
- Perform horticultural duties, including designing, planting, and maintaining annuals, perennials and shrubbery and planting beds to current industry standards
- Assist with monitoring and determining the correct microclimate to control all pests and disease
- Demonstrate a sound understanding and utilize all job-related tools and equipment including, but not limited to, line trimmers, brush chippers, lawn mowers, leaf blowers, rakes, shovels etc., in a safe and efficient manner.
- Carry out all necessary maintenance and adjustments while keeping the equipment in a safe, clean and tidy condition, and perform daily circle checks and report defects and, if necessary, small repairs in a prescribed manner.
- Complete daily activity time sheets; report on changes in daily work schedule.
- Provide excellent customer service.
- Instructs and trains employees in safe work practices of maintenance equipment, tools and job techniques.
- Responsible for site safety as well as identifying hazards and eliminates threats for staff, sub-contractors, the public and others.
- Reports and investigates all injuries or incidents to the Office Manager and all other parties involved. This includes all hazards and near misses.
- Ensures daily maintenance is carried out for all equipment on site. Report machine hours back to the office to track maintenance requirements once a month.
- Conducts weekly safety TOOLBOX meeting every Friday noon. Be prepared in advance for these meetings.
- Works together with the supervisor to communicate any changes or concerns on the job. Inform the supervisor immediately of any deficiencies which include mistakes, errors, contamination, or damages (property or equipment etc.)
- Gathers all the information and schedule required before starting a job, this includes seasonal maintenance schedule for fertilizing and weed control of lawn and garden.
- Keeps an accurate inventory of used working tools/supplies in provided truck. If applicable, makes sure the fuel reserve is always full.
- Maintains good records of events that take place on/or about the job site while working along with the schedule of the work order. This includes changes, additions or deletions in schedule, and materials/equipment used.
- Oversees the crew to confirm that the direction given is being followed. Continuously monitors all works against job specifications to ensure the quality and accuracy of the work performed.
- Provides goal setting, motivating, coaching, teaching and encouragement to the team.
- Evaluates worker performance and provides periodic feedback to individuals based on their job descriptions/responsibilities.
- Maintains accurate records for the office manager. This includes any receipts, purchases, delivery packing slips and other paper that may be obtained.
Qualifications and Skills:
- Minimum of 3 years experience in a supervising role in the landscape industry.
- A working knowledge of teaching the tools of planting and softscape which include but not limited to, fertilizing pest and disease identification, planting and problem-solving ability.
- Proficient communication with co-workers, supervisors, other employees, client groups and the public while providing leadership/supervision and work direction to subordinates.
- Valid G license and ability to get to different jobsites around the GTA.
- Advanced knowledge of horticulture and plant needs.
- Ability to communicate in English – this includes reading and writing.
- Required to work under pressure in a fast-paced environment.
- Listening and mental attentiveness in dealing with customer or public queries.
- Required to take on multiple deadlines and responsibilities with frequent interruptions while remaining focused.
- Constantly thinking ahead and planning while leading and working along with crew members.
- Ability to lift 50lbs and be in physically fit condition.
- Constantly bending, pulling, lifting, shoveling, raking, planting, and working with hand tools for long periods of time in a repetitive motion.
- Operating maintenance machinery which includes lots of walking and standing for long periods of time.
- outdoors in different weather conditions – e.g., sun, rain, dust, snow and cold.
- Working from 7am-6pm Monday to Friday and every other Saturday 7am-2pm.
- Focus and attention must be given to the machines and other equipment around on the job site.