Job Category: Landscape Construction
Job Title: Lead hand
Job type: Full time
Benefits: Dental, Extended health, Life, AD&D
Location: York Region
Under the supervision of the Foreman, the working Lead Hand is second in command on the job site while assisting the Foreman to accomplish the given tasks in a safe and most efficient manner. These duties include tree and shrub planting, receiving and unloading plant material, placing, spreading and grading soil, mulch or aggregates, installing and removing T-bars, silt fences and weed mat as well as site clean-up. Providing updates on the progress and the evolving needs of the construction site. Encouraging, teaching and leading crew members to have safe working procedures. Performing other manual jobs that may be required as well as operating small machines and hand tools to complete the tasks.
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
- Wears provided clean company uniform and PPE (Protective Personal Equipment). This includes green patch steel toed boots.
- Follows and understands Policy and Procedure company Handbook.
- Informs the Foreman of any personal injury or damage to property.
- Maintains a level of professionalism on job sites and demonstrates a positive attitude and working climate, with an emphasis on health and safety.
- Helps instruct and train employees in safe work practices of construction equipment, tools and job techniques. Report all hazards and near misses.
- Ensures the only trained operators can use company machinery.
- Reports and investigate all injuries or incidents to the Office Manager and all other parties involved in absence of the Foreman.
- Follows directions from and assisting the site Foreman with layout, site coordination and installations.
- Monitors the materials on site regularly and inform your Foreman by 2:00 PM for supplies for the next day, forecast and plan your jobsite.
- Tours the site regularly and help the team keep a clean and organized jobsite. This includes having tools accounted for and in working condition. Before leaving the site everyday make sure there is nothing left behind.
- Continuously monitors all works against job specifications to ensure the quality and accuracy of the work performed.
- Constantly works toward eliminating deficiencies.
- Maintains constant communication with Site Foreman and informs immediately of any deficiencies – mistakes, errors, contamination, or damages (property or equipment etc.)
- Communicates with the Project Coordinator or Foreman if and as soon as any problem arises between the sub-contractors.
- Participates in weekly Toolbox Meetings.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
Qualifications and Skills:
- Minimum of 3 years’ experience in landscaping field.
- Capability of following directions and completing given tasks from supervisors
- Demonstrate the ability to self-motivate and possess the skills to work on your own productively.
- Possession of a valid Ontario Driver’s license and ability to get to different jobsites around the GTA.
- Contribute to a team atmosphere with a positive attitude and create a working climate, with an emphasis on health and safety.
- Ability to communicate in English.
- Ability to relate well with co-workers, supervisors, other employees, client groups and the general public while providing leadership and work direction to subordinates.
- Required to work under pressure in a fast-paced environment.
- Listening and mental attentiveness in dealing with customer or public queries.
- Required to take on multiple deadlines and responsibilities with frequent interruptions while remaining focused.
- Constantly thinking ahead and planning while leading and working along with crew members.
- Ability to lift 50lbs and be in physically fit condition.
- Constantly bending, pulling, lifting, shoveling, raking, planting, and working with hand tools for long periods of time in a repetitive motion.
- Moves material around jobsite by hand or small machines over rough construction surfaces. This includes a lot of walking and standing for long periods of time.
- Outdoors in different weather conditions – e.g., sun, rain, dust, snow and cold.
- Working from 7am-6pm Monday to Friday and every other Saturday 7am-2pm.