Job Category: Landscape maintenance
Job Title: Lead hand
Job type: Full time
Benefits: Dental, Extended health, Life, AD&D
Location: York Region
Under the supervision of the Foreman, the working Lead Hand is second in command on the job site while assisting the Foreman to accomplish the given tasks in a safe and most efficient manner. These duties include tree and shrub planting, receiving and unloading plant material, placing, spreading and grading soil, mulch or aggregates, installing and removing T-bars, as well as site clean-up. Providing updates on the progress and the evolving needs of the maintenance site. Encouraging, teaching and leading crew members to have safe working procedures. Performing other manual jobs that may be required as well as operating small machines and hand tools to complete the tasks.
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
- Wears provided clean company uniform and your PPE (Protective Personal Equipment) – lead by example.
- Demonstrates a positive attitude and working climate, with an emphasis on health and safety.
- Perform horticultural duties, including planting, and maintaining annuals, perennials and shrubbery and planting beds to current industry standards
- Assist with monitoring and determining the correct microclimate to control all pests and disease
- Demonstrate a sound understanding and utilize all job-related tools and equipment including, but not limited to, line trimmers, brush chippers, lawn mowers, leaf blowers, rakes, shovels etc., in a safe and efficient manner.
- Carry out all necessary maintenance and adjustments while keeping the equipment in a safe, clean and tidy condition.
- Provide excellent customer service.
- Helps instruct and train employees in safe work practices of maintenance equipment, tools and job techniques.
- Attends weekly safety TOOLBOX meeting every Friday noon. Be prepared in advance for these meetings.
- Works together with the Foreman to communicate any changes or concerns on the job. Inform the Foreman immediately of any deficiencies which include mistakes, errors, contamination, or damages (property or equipment etc.)
Qualifications and Skills:
- Minimum of 3 years’ experience in landscaping field.
- Capability of following directions and completing given tasks from supervisors
- Demonstrate the ability to self-motivate and possess the skills to work on your own productively.
- Possession of a valid Ontario Driver’s license and ability to get to different jobsites around the GTA.
- Contribute to a team atmosphere with a positive attitude and create a working climate, with an emphasis on health and safety.
- Ability to communicate in English.
- Ability to relate well with co-workers, supervisors, other employees, client groups and the general public while providing leadership and work direction to subordinates.
- Required to work under pressure in a fast-paced environment.
- Listening and mental attentiveness in dealing with customer or public queries.
- Required to take on multiple deadlines and responsibilities with frequent interruptions while remaining focused.
- Constantly thinking ahead and planning while leading and working along with crew members.
- Ability to lift 50lbs and be in physically fit condition.
- Constantly bending, pulling, lifting, shoveling, raking, planting, and working with hand tools for long periods of time in a repetitive motion.
- Operating maintenance machinery which includes lots of walking and standing for long periods of time.
- outdoors in different weather conditions – e.g., sun, rain, dust, snow and cold.
- Working from 7am-6pm Monday to Friday and every other Saturday 7am-2pm.